Sylvan Stool Travel Award
Funds donated by Colleagues, Trainees and Friends of Sylvan E. Stool M.D.
Supported by contributions from The Inter-American Association of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology (IAPO)
PURPOSE: To Create and Define Application and Selection Process for Award Winner Candidates:
- Candidates must be physicians who are in-training as Otorhinolaryngologist at the Senior Level of Training (e.g. Post Graduate Year 4 to 6) OR Junior Faculty (less than 5 years post training).
- Candidates must be a citizen or permanent resident of South America, Central America or the Caribbean Islands during the application year.
- Applicants must demonstrate an interest in a career in Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology OR submit curriculum vitae (Biography) that confirms or supports this career choice or experience.
- Applicants should have at least two (2) letters of Recommendation. One letter should be from a member of IAPO. The second letter should be from a senior physician / surgeon who is familiar with the applicants qualifications.
- Announcements for the Application Process for the Sylvan Stool Award will be posted on the IAPO and ASPO websites at 6 to 24 months prior to the Annual ASPO meeting, when feasible.
- The IAPO Selection Committee will be made up of a minimum of 3 members, appointed for a 2-year term. Each candidate can be reappointed twice for a maximum of 6 years of service. The candidates for this committee will be appointed by the IAPO President at their Bi-Annual Meeting. At least one member of the Selection Committee must be a member in good standing of the ASPO Society.
- Applications must be completed and submitted by December 31 of the year preceding the ASPO meeting, either in writing or electronically to the IAPO or ASPO websites. The deadline for the Annual ASPO should be - at least 3 months prior to the Annual ASPO Meeting. (ASPO is generally scheduled for the months of April- May). This process may be waived by the President of ASPO.
- Winner selection will be reviewed within 4 weeks of the ASPO/IAPO application deadline. The candidate that was nominated by the IAPO selection committee and selected by the ASPO President, following consultation by the ASPO Program Committee Chairperson.
- The winning candidate’s name will forwarded in writing or electronically to the ASPO President, IAPO President, ASPO Secretary and the ASPO Program Chair for the Annual Meeting.
- Candidates’ name and sponsor will be included in the Annual Meeting Program, when possible, and the Award winner will be announced at the ASPO Annual Meeting.
- The Award stipend is for travel related expenses to attend the ASPO meeting, and may be used for payment for Economy Class Airfare, meeting registration and hotel accommodations for the nights of the meeting, not to exceed $ 3,000 U.S. dollars when awarded every 2 years.
- Non- IAPO sponsored candidates may apply, if all the above deadlines & application protocol details are fulfilled.
Roland D. Eavey; Peggy E. Kelley; Margaretha L. Casselbrant; James S. Reilly, MD
Executive Committee IAPO & ASPO – October 14, 2013